Friday, January 14, 2011

Reverb2010- Community

Community. Where have you discovered community, online or otherwise, in 2010? What community would you like to join, create or more deeply connect with in 2011?

I am sure many of you have heard me complain about Montclair State University.  I really do not like the program I am in.  The education program is very unorganized, and I am not a big fan of the professors.  However, I have found the community of the students to be amazing.  Either bonding over the horrific teachers or projects, I have found a few great new friends.  

I started at Montclair a few weeks after I graduated from URI, and I knew no one.  It was very scary taking my very first graduate class, and not knowing anyone.  Luckily, everyone in my class was extremely nice, and I became very friendly with everyone.  I also found two really great friends.  I am not sure I would have survived Montclair without them.  They, along with a few other new friends, got me through fall 2009.  

This past spring, I became really friendly with one girl who lives two towns away from me.  We started talking about how annoying our classes were, and eventually decided to carpool together one night a week.  The friendship has grown immensely, and I now talk to her everyday and hangout with her and her sister almost every weekend.  This friend I am talking about is Stef.  She is the one who started the cooking blog with me, and is teaching me how to cook!  

Of course over the summer and this past semester, I have made many new friends as well.  After taking a very stressful test, I went to get drinks with two girls in my program.  It was a blast getting to hangout with them, and not think about school (even though most of the time we bitched about Montclair).  I also went to go see "Next to Normal" with a girl from one of my classes.  We had a great time talking about Broadway, and seeing a show. 

As excited as I am to graduate from Montclair, I am going to miss making new friends.  The best part of meeting people in school is that we all have something in common and something to start talking about.  Eventually you branch out and start talking about different things, and create a bond.  Hopefully I will be able to make more friends in the real world!

No comments:

Post a Comment