Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Reverb 2010- Moment

Moment. Pick one moment during which you felt most alive this year. Describe it in vivid detail (texture, smells, voices, noises, colors).

For some reason I was stressing over this blog prompt all day.  I couldn't figure out which moment I wanted to write about.  But I just reread the prompt, and it was which moment did I feel most alive this year.  For me, that moment would have to be walking through the finish line for the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer, and participating in the closing ceremonies.  The last half mile of the walk, was so exciting.  People were cheering us on, saying "only a few more steps!!", and there were signs saying mile 39, which meant we were done.  Walking onto the pier was insane.  There were people hugging their friends and family, people registering for next years walk, people sitting and resting their feet, and lots of beer being drank.  I remember thinking "where can I get beer" and "note to self: next year bring drinks for the end of the walk" (maybe alcoholic should have been my word for 2010).  

After sitting for about thirty minutes, the closing ceremonies started.  There were hundreds of us lining up, getting ready to walk down the pier.  At the front of the line were all the women who have survived Breast Cancer.  Their shirts were pink, and it had "survivor" on the back of it.  When I saw how many women there were, wearing these survivor shirts, I had chills all over my body.  Seeing all of the women reminded me about why I was doing the walk.

All the walkers walked towards the end of the pier, where there was a large stage.  There were a few speakers, giving their stories about how they overcame Breast Cancer.  We were standing on concrete, bunched together.  The sun was beating down on us.  It was so hot, and all I could think about was drinking lots and lots of water to cool down.  I think one of the girls standing next to me felt the same way, she ended up fainting.  Thankfully she was fine.  Everyone helped her up, and people were giving her water to drink.  

After a few survivors spoke, Avon showed us where all the money was going.  We were able to see the checks, and hear how much money each hospital or clinic was receiving.  While listening to how much each place got, I realized that my money was going somewhere important.  In that instant, I knew I was going to be doing this walk again next year, as well as the year after that and the year after that.  I have been sucked into the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer.  Once the ceremony was done, I started walking back towards my aunt and uncle with my mom.  I ended up loosing her, but I knew where I was headed.  I walked straight over to the registration table, and signed up for next year.  They gave me a pretty purple shirt, and a sticker saying that I was number 786 to sign up for 2011.  

For those of you wondering, there is 289 days left until the next walk!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment