Saturday, December 18, 2010

The Life of a Quiet Person

I've always been a quiet person.  I am always nervous of saying something and offending people, or saying something and having people think I'm crazy.  Because of this, I have learned to bite my tongue.  When there is something I want to say, I usually swallow the information, and forget about it.  Sometimes I do put my "two cents" in, but only if I find it really important of if I know it will make someone laugh.  This has usually worked for me.  I have learned that if you are quiet enough, people will forget you're there, and just talk freely.  They will also say what is on their mind, and not ask for input.  I used to pride myself on being able to blend in so well.  People would never remember I was there, and they usually didn't ask for my opinion.  I was able to think about my comments and keep them to myself.

Sometimes this is all fine and dandy for me, but sometimes it sucks.  There are the few occasions when I have something to say, and for some reason people will always talk over me.  They won't realize I'm talking, or they will think that their news/information is more important.  Or maybe they want to talk to someone else besides me.  I find this happening more and more with my friends.  I am not sure why, but I feel like I get ignored a lot.  When this happens, I become even more quiet, and just stop talking all together.  What is the point of talking if no one is going to listen?  So in 2011, my resolution is to do more listening, and do less talking.  

No comments:

Post a Comment