Tuesday, October 19, 2010

IN IT TO END IT



This past weekend my mom and I walked in the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer.  I walked a total of 30 miles and my mom walked the whole 39 miles.  It was quite an accomplishment for us.  When I first joined, I thought to myself that I didn't need to do the whole walk, just as long as I raised money.  Also I could use the training as a way to get in exercise and hopefully loose a few pounds.  Well, I didn't really do any training (I decided to have a social life instead).  I also managed to do most of the walk without too much whining or complaining.  And thank you to everyone who followed my Facebook updates, and sent me messages.  It made me feel really good knowing that you guys remembered the date of the walk, and were interested in how I was doing.  I am also proud to say that my mom and I signed up for next years walk, and we can't wait for it!


Doing the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer was magical, inspiring, emotional and a little tiring.  On Saturday October 16 we started bright and early at 6:45 AM.  After the semester I've been having, I am surprised I was able to function that early on a Saturday morning.  My mom woke me up at 5:30, and the first thing I did was blast some of Lea Michele's songs from Glee.  That got me hyped up, and I started dancing around my room, getting dressed.


We arrived at Pier 84 (the start and finish line) at around 6:30 AM.  There were so many people there!  I don't think I've ever seen so many women dressed in pink at once in my whole life.  4,000 women (and some men) from 46 different states came together that morning to walk in NYC and fight against Breast Cancer.  New York walkers raised a total of 9.5 MILLION dollars.  To all of you who donated to this cause, I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart.  During the closing ceremonies we learned where all the money is going.  Below is the break down of what hospitals and programs are receiving money.  You should all feel chills as you read how much money goes to each place, and what the money goes towards.


Not only were the opening and closing ceremonies so emotional, but so was the walk.  We followed the Hudson River and walked up towards Harlem.  It was GORGEOUS!  If anyone is willing to wake up early enough, I highly suggest going for a walk along the Hudson River.  Even though you cannot see the sun rise, you can see the light shimmering off the building of NYC, NJ and the river.  It was so beautiful.  Next year I hope to have a good camera and take pictures.  The first 15 miles went by pretty quickly.  Your immersed in the heart of NYC, and surrounded by so many people.  My mom and I were chit-chatting the whole time, looking at the views, and learning about some parts of the city that we don't venture too.  There are also rest stops every two miles.  They usually have tons of food and provide us with water or gatorade.  There are also cheering stations cheering you on.  They have little songs that they will sing, give out stickers or cookies, and give you high fives.  They always pumped us up.


They gave us lunch at the 10 mile mark, so we ate at about 11 AM.  Yes it was a little early, but it was a nice break.  We could sit for about 20 minutes and relax.  Walkers also had friends and family members meet them at certain points.  They would sneak into a Starbucks or a Dunkin Donuts for a little break.  We did that with my Aunt and Uncle.  The caffeine was definitely needed.


As we continued on, we walked through the village.  This was probably one of the hardest parts for me. We walked up Bleeker Street, so not only were there hundreds of people walking around, but I also had to pass by my stores and couldn't go in!!!  I walked past 2 Marc Jacobs stores, Juicy and Steve Madden.  I was on the verge of tears when my mom told me I wasn't allowed to shop (I had her credit card too!)


I continued on with my mom over the Brooklyn Bridge, and then back over the Manhattan Bridge.  We walked through China Town and up through Kips Bay.  By the time we got to 60-something street I was slowing down.  My feet had horrible blisters, and I was exhausted.  My mom went on without me, and I went one more mile before stopping for the day.  24 miles complete in 9 and a half hours.  Even though it was a lot for me to do, I felt a little guilty for not finishing.  Next year I will do the whole 26 miles on day 1.


Day 2 was okay.  The city was much quieter in the morning, and people were walking a lot slower.  My mom and I got a late start, but caught up to everyone.  I didn't do the whole walk, but my mom did.  The second day wasn't as exciting.  I don't know if it was because we started late, or if it was because people were just tired.  It was still fun walking in the streets of NYC, knowing that every step we took was one step closer to the finish line.  It was great to see that Mile 13 marker, and see the finish line.  I also learned a lesson: have people bring me cold beer at the finish line.  Hundreds of walkers were sitting on the floor, beer bottles in their hands.  It looked so yummy.


During the walk, I kept thinking about if I wanted to do it again next year.  I would definitely raise money again, but did I actually want to do the walk again?  I enjoy sleeping in late, and I would prefer to walk with more friends, not just my mom.  In the end I decided to register for 2011, and not just because it was $10 cheaper, and I got a cool shirt.  I did it for many reasons.  It is so emotional to see all the women in their bright pink shirts that say survivor.  There were at least a hundred women who walked that had survived Breast Cancer.  To think about what they must have went through is scary.  And then to be able to come back and walk this intense walk, is amazing.  Also, along our walk, women in the streets were saying thank you and clapping   for us.  When was the last time you saw someone in the streets doing something pro-active, and you just went up tothem and said thank you or clapped for them?  Every time someone said that to me I wanted to give them a big hug.  Then there is the future for me and you.  Both my grandmothers had breast cancer, and I am sure we all know at least 5 women who have had breast cancer, have it now, or have passed away from it.  As you can see, I reregistered for the all the survivors in their bright pink shirts, for the women on the streets saying thank you to us, and for my future.  I know why I am walking next year, but why aren't you?


P.S. I will be after some of you to join me next year!!!

Young Survival Coalition received $85,000 to support efforts to educate the medical, research and breast cancer communities about the unique needs of breast cancer patients under the age of 40.  
God’s Love We Deliver received $200,000 to provide nutrition education and meals to breast cancer patients and their families. 
The Fund for Public Health New York received $80,000 to support a city-wide study to develop policy and program interventions to improve the quality of breast cancer care and access to services for medically underserved women. 
Roswell Park Alliance Foundation received $130,000 to study whether a specific antigen produced by triple negative breast cancer can be used to create therapies that reduce recurrence rates and improve outcomes in people with this aggressive type of cancer. 
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center received $300,000 to develop a test panel of genes that can identify breast cancer patients at high risk for metastasis to help determine the aggressiveness of treatment needed.
The Avon Foundation Breast Cancer Center at New York Presbyterian-Columbia University Medical Center – one of eight Avon Breast Centers across the United States – received $1,020,000. The grant will continue to fund care for thousands of underserved women in a state-of-the art mammography center, and will support breast cancer research, clinical trials and imaging fellowships.  
Cancer Care received $1,125,000 to continue its support of the AvonCares program that provides direct financial assistance to more than 40,000 low-income breast cancer patients, reaching women and men in 85% of all U.S. counties and all 50 states. 
 The Avon Foundation Breast Health Outreach Program, the Avon Foundation’s hallmark national breast cancer education and screening program, received $6 million. This grant will support more than 125 community-based groups across the country that will navigate more than 125,000 people into mammography screening and clinical breast exams in 2011, and reach a half million people in outreach awareness efforts and educational encounters. 
Eight grants that further strengthen the Avon Safety Net program in the New York region were also awarded. Avon’s Safety Net currently funds more than 100 hospitals across the country to ensure that all women have access to quality breast cancer services and care, regardless of their insurance status or ability to pay. The grants included:
You Can Thrive Foundation received $70,000 to support access to holistic, complementary and alternative care for low income breast cancer patients. 
Breast Treatment Task Force received $80,000 for patient navigation services. 
Brookdale Hospital Medical Center received $90,000 for a patient navigation program targeting African American and Caribbean American women in Brooklyn. 
Northern Westchester Hospital received $110,000 to provide diagnostic and care navigation for Latina populations. 
Long Island Medical Foundation received $122,000 to support patient navigation in Nassau County. 
Newark Beth Israel Hospital received $125,000 to extend patient navigation in Newark. 
Metropolitan Hospital Center received $150,000 to provide coordinated breast health education, navigation and care in Harlem. 
Avon Safety Net Program at Bellevue Hospital, a program of the NYU Cancer Center and Bellevue Collaborative, received $275,000.

No comments:

Post a Comment