Saturday, May 7, 2011

Summer Lovin’ Had Me a Blast

As I sit at my computer typing, I'm super excited that May is finally here, but wondering where April went.  Looking back at April, all I remember is the rain we had, and the few exciting events I attended.  Hopefully now that May is here, the rain will disappear and we will have the amazing spring weather that I look forward to every year.  I am also excited because May is jam packed with fun and excitement with some of my favorite people.  

May is my favorite month ever.  The weather is usually perfect for me to sit outside for hours, reading and listening to music.  When I was younger, I used to love going down to the baseball field and watch my brother play.  May also means the start of BBQ season!  I usually countdown the days until Memorial Day Weekend, when everyone has their first BBQ of the year, getting to bond with old friends, and enjoy drinks and good food.  Now that I am older, May represents college graduations.  A new start, a new life.  Two years ago I graduated from URI.  In less than two weeks I will be graduating from Montclair State University, with a masters degree.

Since I've started this blog, one year ago, I have changed a lot.  I learned a lot about myself and a lot about my friends.  I've made mistakes that I'm still upset about.  I have changed some of my best friends.  And the biggest change is that I have gotten a lot more confident in myself.  With this confidence, I am ready for summer to start.  I am ready to try new things and move out of my comfort zone.  Last summer I wasted my time waiting around for friends to do fun activities with me.  This year, I am taking things into my own hands.  Read on for my summer excitement.
Elyse and I after Kayaking 


1. Rock Climbing- When I was younger, and went to Ramapo, we had a rock climbing wall.  I used to love going up it.  A few weeks ago, there was a Groupon for a rock climbing place near my house.  The Groupon was for one month of unlimited rock climbing.  I decided to purchase it.  Next week, after I am done student teaching,  I will start going rock climbing.  I am excited to find a new interest, hopefully one that I can share with my friends.

2. Kickball- I am tired of being lazy, and the gym is just too boring for words.  This summer, I decided to sign up to play kickball in Central Park on Sundays.  I am beyond excited.  At first I was nervous about doing this by myself, but with my new confidence, I am now excited to meet my teammates and start playing the game!  And if you want to come watch me play, just let me know!!  There is a happy hour afterwards =)

On the Hackensack River

3. Kayaking- Last weekend I went kayaking.  I have been before (in fabulous San Diego with the best people ever!!), but it was like 2 years ago.  I now have friends at home who enjoy going kayaking.  We decided to go last weekend.  The view was pretty ugly, but I had fun.  I shared a tandem kayak with a good friend, and it was almost impossible for us to finish the course.  There was so much wind, and we had so much trouble coordinating how to row.  I thought my arms and shoulders would be super sore the next day, but surprisingly I felt amazing!!  This just means that I have to go kayaking again, and work even harder.  if anyone knows of places where you can rent kayaks, and there is a pretty view, please let me know.  I am hoping to go again at least three or four more times this summer.

4. Botanical Gardens- The last thing that I really want to do this summer is go visit the Botanical Gardens (both in the Bronx and Brooklyn).  I have heard great things about both gardens, and with my new camera, I am excited to go and take pictures.  I have also heard that the Botanical Gardens in Brooklyn has large areas of lawn, where you can sit and relax.  I am excited to bring a book and lunch with me, and just hang out in the summer sun.  

1 comment: