Monday, September 13, 2010

Prepping for Yom Kippur

As promised, I am writing more about Little Women.  I honestly haven't read the book in a few days because it is making me a little too sad.  For those of you who know the novel, I am up to the part where Beth is very sick with scarlet fever.  It is a difficult for me to get through this part because I know what is going to happen to Beth.  I can also not get through this section because I do not want the three sisters to be so worried, upset and sad about Beth's illness.  For some reason I think that if I hide the book, Beth won't get too sick, and eventually she will recover.  

For those of you who have not read Little Women, Beth receives scarlet fever by going over to visit a family that is less fortunate than her family.  The family literally has nothing (barely any clothes, no money, and no food).  Mrs. March (the mother) normally visits the family, but she had to take care of her sick husband.  Beth is the only sister who went to visit the family in need.  The other sisters kept saying they would visit eventually, but they never did.  I wish I could be more like Beth.  She doesn't procrastinate or ignore people.  I would love to be like her.


Reading Little Women has really gotten me to think about everything that I have.  A nice warm house, both my parents with incomes, an always-stocked refrigerator and freezer, more clothes (shoes and bags) than I need, a comfortable bed, tuition money for school, and anything else I could possibly need or want.  The March family used to have money, but then something happened, and they no longer have much money.  They have enough money to buy food to put on the table, but that is about all they can afford.  Their dresses are torn, burnt and stained.  Their gloves are ripped, and shoes too tight. 


At the moment, I have stopped reading Little Women.  Beth is extremely sick, and I’m too upset to read.  I know what is going to happen; yet I still cannot continue.  All I can think about is the fact that Beth caught scarlet fever by being a good person and helping a family in need.  Beth is always looking out for her friends, family and dolls.  This brings me to my question: Am I always looking out for people.  I know I do whatever I can for my friends and family.  I will go out of my way to do whatever my friends and family need.  But what about everybody else? What about those who don’t have a house?  Or food and clothing?  What about parents who can’t find jobs and support their children? 

My basement is filled with bags of clothes I want to donate.  I probably put those clothes down there six months ago, saying to myself “I’ll bring them somewhere next week”.  Well “next week” has passed many times.  Those bags are still taking up space downstairs.  I also have more clothes and bags in my room that I can donate, but I’m too lazy to go through everything.  I also find that some of my clothes have sentimental value, and “maybe” I will wear them someday.  New rule: if you’ve only worn it once or twice, get rid of it (except for fancy dresses).  There are people who need these clothes and shoes.  I also have a huge bag of books that I want to donate, but haven’t yet.  If you're looking for a place to donate your old clothes, shoes and bags, Google it.  I just looked, and there are so many places I can donate!

My goal is to de-clutter my room within the next month.  Rather than thinking about it as “throwing things out”, I am going to think about it as finding things to donate.  What do I have in my room that someone else might love or need?  With the Jewish holiday, Yom Kippur, approaching, it is time to think about asking for forgiveness.  G-d (and mommy), can you please forgive me for spending all of my tuition money on shoes, clothes and bags?  Bad habits are hard to break.  I would also like to ask G-d to forgive me for not volunteering very much since graduating from URI.  I honestly don’t think I’ve done any volunteer work at all and I feel very guilty.  I would always say I’m so busy with babysitting, working for my mom, and going to grad school.  This year however, I have decided to change that!  I just started volunteering at a Jewish day school, helping with the library.  I shelve books, put up posters, and organize the whole place.  I may also be able to make up lesson plans, so this will help me in the future.  Even though I do this two times a week, I would like to do more volunteer work with those more needy.  If anyone has suggestions of where to go, please let me know!!  If anyone would also like to do volunteer work with me, please tell me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment