Sunday, September 5, 2010

Build Me Up Buttercup

So on Thursday I was sitting at my computer, getting ready to leave my house for my first day of class, and I realized that the date was September 2.  Now the whole day I knew the date, but while looking at the birthdays section on Facebook, I realized what the day was.  It had been exactly 10 years since my Bat Mitzvah.  I still can't believe it's been ten years.  I can still remember the summer of 2000 perfectly.  That was the summer I first started Camp Lindenmere.  That was the summer before starting 8th grade.  That was the summer I grew up, and came out of my shell a little bit.  That was a very influential summer for me.

As we all know, I love summer.  It's my favorite season, and I'm not sure if it's because of the weather, or because of my memories of camp.  Until I was 15 years old, I went to camp every summer.  I will be honest (especially since I know Sara will be reading this), I did not always enjoy camp.  For the longest time I went to Ramapo Country Day Camp and I was forced into "playing" soccer, baseball, basketball, and hockey.  I put playing in quotation marks because what I did could not be considered playing at all.  I was the one who was running away from the ball.  I can promise you it was a very funny sight.  As much as I hated those activities, I loved everything else about Ramapo.  I loved having a counselor who was in her teens/early 20's.  I loved going to cooking class, and making yummy treats (like cookie pizza).  There was ceramics, arts and crafts, jewelry making, lanyard, theater, go carts, horse riding, and the list continues.  This list is partially what made me love camp.  The other reason why I love camp so much is because I love being part of the "bunk".  Yes girls can be bitchy, but I have made some very good friends over my summers.  I think summer camp is also the place to become friends with girls you think you would never talk to during the school year.  

After my long stunt at Ramapo, I attended Camp Lindenmere for four years.  What I wouldn't give to go back for another summer.  I miss every night sitting at the flagpole staring up at stars and bats.  Having a nap time after lunch to rest, read, or gossip.  Sitting on our porches, shaving our legs, listening to music.  International male counselors.  Gossiping with my bunkmates and counselors about the International male counselors (Pee Wee and Richy Rich anyone??).  Attempting how to ice skate.  Being super bored at the evening activity.  Color War cheers.  Mr. and Mrs. Lindenmere.  Talent shows.  I wish I was still 13 years old, attending Camp Lindenmere.

My first year at Lindenmere was the hardest.  I had never seen the  camp before the bus dropped me off, so I had to figure out where my bunk was, as well as how to get everywhere else.  Then I had to figure out which bed I wanted for the next six weeks.  Difficult decision.  Luckily the girl on my right became one of my best friends, and I still talk to her this very day.  A lot of the girls in my bunk already had their friends, since they had been to Lindenmere before.  I had to figure out how to break into the groups already made.  Let's add to the fact that I had to practice for my Bat Mitzvah a few times a week.  With all that stress of finding friends, and learning my Haftorah, I thought I would have a horrible time.  Luckily that was not true.  I had the best time.  Leaving my comfort zone was the best thing for me.  Sometimes you need to shake up your life, and put yourself into different/unique/difficult positions.  You never know what you will learn about yourself.

That first summer ended way to quickly.  I signed up for six weeks, thinking that was way too long to be away from my parents.  Not true.  I couldn't get enough of Lindenmere nor my new friends.  But the fun had to end.  Back to 24/7 Bat-Mitzvah practice.  I honestly never thought September 2 would come.  I just couldn't picture myself standing on the bimah in front of friends, family and congregation members, having to SING to them, especially in another language.  The day came and went, and I survived.  I could not believe that I was able to get through the service.  Little, shy Samantha made it through.  

Those four summers spent at Lindenmere taught me a lot about myself.  I learned how to be myself, and not worry about people judging.  I learned that I could talk to all 16 of my bunkmates about different subjects (which helped with sorority recruitment).  I learned to pick out what I enjoy the most and not do what everyone else wants me to do.  I learned to take chances, and try something that is new to me, or something that I am horrible at, like ice skating.  I learned how that I can be in dance performances in front of friends/family/strangers, and even speak publicly.  I learned that sports could be fun when the counselors are hot international men.  

All these life lessons came out of the summers between 2000 and 2004.  Camp Lindenmere thank you for all that you have done for me, and all the friends you have given me.  As for my religion, thank you for helping me overcome my shyness for my Bat-Mitzvah and on.  Thank you for teaching me that when I set my mind to something, I can accomplish it.  No matter how much work has to go into it, and no matter how much I have to learn, I can do it.  Reflecting on those four years always gives me encouragement.  Whenever I feel nervous, or discouraged, I think about what I have done already.  There is nothing that will stop me from accomplishing my goals and dreams.  Hopefully the next few summers will be as influential to me as the ones I've already had.

I would like to leave my fellow Camp Lindenmere campers with one last thing:

Why do you build me up (Build me up)
Buttercup baby just to
let me down (Let me down)
And mess me around
And then worst of all (Worst of all)
You never call baby
When you say you will (Say you will)
But I love you still
I need you (I need you)
More than anyone darlin'
You know that I have from the start

So build me up (Build me up)
Buttercup
Don't break my heart
I'll be over at ten
You tell me time and again
But you're late
I wait around and then
I went to the door
I can't take any more
It's not you
You let me down again

Baby Baby
Try to find a little time
And I'll make you happy
I'll be home
I'll be waiting beside the phone
Waiting for you.

Why do you build me up....
To you I'm a toy
But I could be the boy
You adore
If you'd just let me know
Although you're untrue
I'm attracted to you
All the more
Why do I need you so Baby Baby.....

ooh ooh ooh
Why do build me up .....

No comments:

Post a Comment